Chocolate Peppermint Crackles Recipe
In a medium bowl, combine whole wheat pastry flour, all-purpose flour, cocoa and baking powder. Set aside.
In a mixing bowl, beat margarine with SPLENDA® Brown Sugar Blend until smooth. Beat in eggs and peppermint extract. Add melted chocolate and beat until smooth. Add flour mixture to chocolate mixture and beat to combine. Divide dough into 4 equal parts, shape into discs, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours.
Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Line cookie sheet with parchment paper. Working with one disc at a time, shape dough into 8” x 1” (20 X 2.5 cm) log on un-floured work surface. Cut each log into 8 equal pieces and shape each piece into a ball. Place balls on prepared cookie sheet, about 2” (5 cm) apart. Slightly flatten each ball with hand and bake until surface cracks and cookie is cooked through, about 15 minutes. Do not over bake.
Cool cookies on baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to rack and cooling completely.
Store cookies in airtight container for up to 5 days or freeze for up to 3-4 weeks.
- 3/4 cup (180 mL) whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup (250 mL) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup (180 mL) unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- 2 tsp (10 mL) baking powder
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) non-hydrogenated, soft tub margarine
- 1 cup (250 mL) packed SPLENDA® Brand Brown Sugar Blend
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp (5 mL) mint and peppermint extract
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) semisweet mini chocolate chips, melted