Cranberry Buttermilk Scones Recipe
Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C)
Prepare a baking sheet with baking spray or line it with parchment paper.
Combine the whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, 1/2 cup (125 mL) SPLENDA® Granulated, baking powder, 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) of cinnamon, salt, cloves and nutmeg together in a mixing bowl.
Grate the butter into the dry mixture with a coarse size grater. Stop at intervals to lightly toss the butter particles into the flour mixture to keep the butter from lumping together.
Add the cranberries and toss into mixture.
Mix in the buttermilk until the dough is just starting to combine. Turn out onto the countertop and knead until the dough just comes together and forms a smooth ball. DO NOT OVERMIX.
Lightly flour the surface of the dough and gently press into a flat round disc approximately 3/4” (2 cm) thick. Transfer the dough to the prepared baking sheet.
Brush the 1 1/2 tbsp (23 mL) of buttermilk over the surface of the dough
Mix the 2 tbsp (30 mL) of SPLENDA® Granulated with the 1/2 tsp (2 mL) of cinnamon and evenly sprinkle the mix over the surface of the dough.
Cut the dough into 8 equal pie-shaped sections, but do not separate them. Keep the disc in one large circle. This will help support the sides of each portion as they rise in the oven.
Bake for 20 minutes until golden brown.
Cut the sections to separate and serve immediately with butter, if desired.
- 1 cup (250 mL) whole wheat flour
- 1 cup (250 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener- Granulated
- 4 tsp (20 mL) baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) unsalted butter; cold or frozen
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) frozen cranberries; halved
- 1 cup (250 mL) low fat buttermilk1 1/2 tbsp (23 mL) low fat buttermilk2 tbsp (30 mL) SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener
- Granulated1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground cinnamon
|Calories from Fat||117|