Duck à l’Orange Recipe
Remove wing tips, neck and gizzards from duck cavity. Roast duck parts at 350°F (180°C) until browned, about 1 1/2 hours.
Remove the duck parts from the pan, put in a stockpot and cover with 12 cups (3 L) cold water. Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer, skimming off the fat regularly.
Add chopped vegetables to roasting pan and brown slightly for 20 minutes.
Add vegetables, bay leaf, peppercorns, and tomato paste to stock. Simmer for 2 hours, topping up with cold water if necessary.
Using a sharp knife, score duck breast, cutting halfway through fat in a cross pattern.
Combine together salt, coriander, and pepper.
Rinse and pat duck dry and rub inside and out with salt mixture.
Cut one half of orange into quarters and put in duck cavity with thyme, oregano, parsley and half a chopped onion.
Squeeze juice from remaining half of orange and stir together with the wine and stock. Set aside.
Spread remaining chopped onions, carrot and celery in roasting pan. Place duck on top of vegetables and roast 30 minutes at 450°F (230°C).
Pour wine mixture into roasting pan and reduce oven temperature to 350°F (180°C).
Continue to roast duck until thigh temperature reaches 150°F (65°C), approximately 1 hour 20 minutes.
Drain cavity juices into roasting pan. Cover duck with aluminum foil and let rest 15 minutes.
Combine SPLENDA® Granulated, orange juice, vinegar and salt in a heavy bottom saucepan. Simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally for 10 minutes. Remove syrup from heat. Strain off cooking juices from roasting pan through cheesecloth, discarding vegetables. Skim any fat that rises.
Stir together butter and flour to form a beurre manié (dough).
Bring pan juices to a simmer, then add beurre manié, whisking constantly.
Add orange syrup and zest, simmer, whisking occasionally, until sauce has thickened and flour is cooked out, approx 5 minutes.
Remove duck from the roasting pan onto serving platter. Pour the orange sauce over the duck and serve.
This classic French recipe pairs wonderfully with simple roasted vegetables, such as roasted carrots and beets.
- 1 onion; chopped
- 1 rib celery; chopped
- 1 carrot; chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) peppercorns
- 1 tsp (5 mL) tomato paste
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) coarse salt
- 1 tsp (5 mL) coriander; ground
- 1 tsp (5 mL) black pepper
- 1 Brome Lake duck
- 1 orange; halved
- 4 thyme sprigs; fresh
- 4 oregano sprigs; fresh
- 2 Italian parsley sprigs; fresh
- 1 small onion; roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) Chardonnay white wine
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) duck stock
- 1 carrot; roughly chopped
- 1 celery rib; roughly chopped
- pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener- Granulated
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) orange juice; fresh
- 7 tbsp (105 mL) duck stock
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) unsalted butter; softened
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) fine julienne or fresh orange zest
|Calories from Fat||240|