Old Style Baked Beans Recipe
Soak kidney beans in cold water for 12 hours in a covered pot.
Dice the lard and lightly brown in a pan with a little butter.
Add minced onions, stir well and cook for 1 minute.
Add the soaked kidney beans, bay leaf, thyme and poultry stock
Simmer on low heat for 3 to 4 hours.
After cooking is done, remove the beans from the broth and set aside.
Add mustard, spices, SPLENDA® Brown Sugar Blend, and maple syrup to the broth. Stir well. Put beans back into the broth, along with the cornstarch.
Boil and let simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
You can add baked beans to breakfasts, stews, meat cuts, grilled dishes, salads, etc.
- 2 1/3 cups (580 mL) dry white kidney beans
- 3 oz (84 g) salted lard
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter
- 2 white onions; minced
- 3 cups (750 mL) poultry stock
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Dijon mustard (strong)
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) maple syrup
- 7 tbsp (105 mL) SPLENDA® Brand Brown Sugar Blend
- Mix of a pinch of sugar; pepper; paprika and whole nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) cornstarch
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 thyme twigs
|Calories from Fat||171|