Strawberry Linzer Cookies Recipe
Strawberry Fruit Spread:
Stir all ingredients in a medium saucepot and bring up to a simmer. Simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, for about 30 minutes. Stir in butter (this will make any foam disappear) and cool.
Chill and use within 2 weeks.
Linzer Cookie Dough:
Cream butter and SPLENDA® Granulated together. Add egg, egg yolk, sour cream and vanilla and combine. Stir in flour, salt and nutmeg and blend just until dough comes together. Wrap and set aside for 15 minutes.
Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C) and grease or line 2 baking trays with parchment paper. On a lightly floured surface, roll out half the dough to 1/4-inch (.5 cm) thickness.
Cut out circles about 2 inches in diameter and place half on prepared baking tray. With remaining circles, cut a 1-inch (2.5 cm) hole in the centre and place on baking tray.
Bake cookies for 15 to 18 minutes (until just lightly browned on edges) and cool.
To fill, spoon a little strawberry fruit spread on a round cookie and top with a cut-out cookie. Cookies can be assembled and held refrigerated for a day.
- 1 lb (454 g) fresh strawberries, washed, hulled and quartered
- 1 1/4 cups (310 mL) coarsely grated apple (about 1 apple)
- 1 cup (250 mL) SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener, Granulated
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) lemon juice
- 1 tsp (5 mL) unsalted butter
- 1 cup (250 mL) unsalted butter at room temperature
- 3/4 cup (180 mL) SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener, Granulated
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) sour cream
- 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) vanilla extract
- 2 cups (500 mL) all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) fine salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) ground nutmeg