Top of the Morning Muffin Tops Recipe
Preheat oven to 375˚F (190˚C)
In a food processor fitted with a steel blade (or in a large bowl using an electric mixer), process (or beat) the egg, egg whites, SPLENDA® Granulated, oil, molasses and vanilla until light in colour, about one minute.
Combine soy milk and lemon juice in a measuring cup and stir to blend. Add to the processor along with lemon zest and bananas; process until combined, about 20 seconds longer
Add cornmeal, ground almonds and potato starch to the processor along with salt, baking powder and baking soda; process with quick on/off turns. Mix just until blended.
Scoop batter into prepared muffin top pans, filling each compartment almost to the top. For even-sized muffins, use a scant 1/2 cup (125 mL) measure. Sprinkle each muffin top with a few slivered almonds.
Bake for 15 minutes or until golden
Muffin top pans are available in specialty kitchen shops
Ground almonds are also known as meal or almond flour. Place blanched almonds in a food processor fitted with a steel blade. Process with several quick on/offs to start, then let the motor run until finely ground, about 20 to 25 seconds. Don’t overprocess or you will get almond butter!
- 1 large egg plus 2 egg whites (or 2 large eggs)
- 1 cup (250 mL) SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener, Granulated
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) canola oil
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) molasses
- 1 tsp (5 mL) pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup ( 180 mL) soy milk (skim milk can be substituted)
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) lemon juice
- 1 tsp (5 mL) lemon zest
- 2 ripe medium-size bananas (1 cup [250 mL] mashed)
- 1 cup (250 mL) cornmeal
- 3/4 cup ( 180 mL) finely ground almonds (almond meal)
- 1 cup (250 mL) potato starch
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tsp (10 mL) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) baking soda
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) slivered almonds to garnish