Ginger-scented Apple Squash Soup Recipe
Combine ginger, leek and apple juice concentrate in a large pot. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until leeks are tender. Add apples, squash and 1 cup (250 mL) of broth.
Cover and simmer 1 hour or until very tender. (Note: Partially cooking a hard-shell squash makes it easier to peel. Pierce gourd in several places with a fork, microwave on high for 6 to 10 minutes, depending on size, then peel.)
Purée soup using a hand-held immersion blender. Or, if using a regular blender, purée soup in small batches to prevent splattering and return puréed soup to pot.
Add remaining 3 cups (750 mL) of broth, SPLENDA® Granulated, salt and pepper. Simmer 10 minutes or until heated through. Stir in half-and-half. Yields about 1 cup (250 mL) per serving.
You can also make this tasty recipe using pears instead of apples. Serve along with a crisp green salad or fresh bread.
- 1 1/2 tbsp (23 mL) ginger root; grated
- 1 medium leek; white part only; coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) frozen apple juice concentrate undiluted
- 3 large apples; Golden Delicious; peeled; cored; cut into eighths
- 3 lbs (1.3 kg) butternut squash; peeled; cut into chunks; and seeded (1 large or 2 small squash)
- 4 cups (1 L) canned chicken broth
- 1 tsp (5 mL) SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener- Granulated
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) table salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) black pepper
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) half-and-half cream; fat-free
|Calories from Fat||9|