Your password has been sent to the email address you gave us. Look for it in your inbox!
Little changes can make a big difference.
Today, more and more people are finding it difficult to maintain a healthy weight. This is also true for children. The good news is that small changes, like the two listed below, can make a big difference.
Cut calories without sacrificing taste.
Simply replacing sugar with SPLENDA® Sweetener Products is an easy way to reduce the added sugar and extra calories in your family's diet, without compromising the sweet taste everyone loves.
Do your kids like sprinkling sugar on their cereal? Replacing 2 teaspoons of sugar with one packet of SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener saves 28 calories. Instead of buying regular 170 g. fruit-on-the-bottom yogurt, switch to yogurt made with a no calorie sweetener and you'll save about 90 calories. You can also replace the sugar in your favourite chocolate chip cookie recipe with SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener, Granulated and nobody will ever notice!
This simple calorie-saving trick not only works great with cooking and baking, but also with beverages. Instead of a pitcher of KOOL-AID®** sweetened with a cup of sugar, sweeten it with a cup of SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener, Granulated instead. This saves about 678 calories per pitcher! Even switching from a regular 355 mL cola to a 355 mL no calorie cola sweetened with SPLENDA® Brand Sweetener saves around 140 calories. Try it—you'll be surprised how quickly it adds up!
Add 2,000 extra steps to your day.
Two thousand steps is roughly 1.6 km or about 15-20 minutes of walking at a moderate pace. This may seem daunting, but it's easier than you think. The extra 2,000 steps don't have to be taken all at once to get the benefits. Plus, there are many things you can do that don't even involve walking!
- Get your kids to do jumping jacks, use a hula-hoop, or make up a dance during TV commercials
- Participate with friends in an active video, like jazzercise or hip-hop, instead of just watching a regular one
- Get your children to shoot hoops or ride bikes or scooters with their friends, instead of playing computer games after school
- Walk, bike, rollerblade or skateboard when possible instead of driving your child
- Encourage your kids to go for a hike or play active games like tag, jump ropes, hopscotch or Frisbee®** instead of just sitting around
**The third-party trademarks used herein are trademarks of their respective owners.
Encourage your kids to make healthy choices.
When it comes to younger children, there are many things you can do to encourage healthy eating, and even make it fun!
- Give your kids healthy options and let them choose what they want
- Prepare vegetables different ways (raw, steamed, sautéed) until you find one your child likes
- Finely chop vegetables and add them to spaghetti sauce, pizza, burgers, or macaroni and cheese
- Cut fruit into shapes, dip it in yogurt, or sprinkle it with SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener for a fun and nutritious snack
Encouraging healthy eating with your teen can be a bit of a challenge, but one of the best things you can do is get them involved in the process.
- Take teens grocery shopping and let them choose healthy snacks to keep at home
- Encourage your teen to cook a healthy meal with you, even if it's only once a month
- Don't forget to stress the benefits of eating healthy foods, including more energy and better weight management
Always pack nutritious lunches.
Try introducing these healthy foods into your child's lunchtime routine:
- Water, a can of vegetable juice or 1% milk
- Whole wheat bread, bagels, pita pockets or tortilla wraps
- Individual servings of fresh fruit, unsweetened applesauce or canned fruit
- Low-fat yogurt, calcium-fortified orange juice or low-fat cheese
- Baked chips, pretzels, breadsticks, popcorn, rice crackers or other low-fat crackers
- Low-fat or fat-free turkey breast, bologna, chicken breast, ham or roast beef
- Graham crackers, dried fruit, trail mix, granola bars or fig bars
- Vegetables with hummus, mustard or bean dip
- High-fibre breakfast bar