Cheery Cherry Pie Recipe
Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C)
Unfold 1 piecrust; press out fold lines. Fit piecrust into a 9-inch (23 x 4 cm) pie plate according to package directions.
Drain cherries, reserving 1 cup (250 mL) juice; set fruit aside.
Combine SPLENDA® Granulated Sweetener and cornstarch in a medium saucepan; gradually stir reserved juice into SPLENDA® Granulated Sweetener mixture. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture begins to boil. Boil 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in lemon juice, almond extract and food coloring, if desired. Fold in reserved cherries; cool slightly. Spoon mixture into pastry shell.
Unfold remaining piecrust; press out fold lines. Roll to 1/8-inch (0.25 cm) thickness. Place over filling; fold edges under and crimp. Cut slits in top to allow steam to escape.
Bake 40 to 50 minutes or until crust is golden. Cover edges with aluminum foil to prevent over browning, if necessary. Cool on a wire rack one hour before serving.
- 1 (15 ounce) package refrigerated piecrusts
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans pitted tart red cherries, undrained
- 2/3 cup (160 mL) SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener, Granulated
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons (10 mL) fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon (1 mL) almond extract
- 4 drops red food coloring